Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To Don: Genetic Mapping of modern Assyrians
Akhi Don,

I find the 78th chapter of 2Baruch interesting:

Quote:These are the words of that epistle which Baruch the son of Neriah sent to the nine and a half tribes, which were across the river Euphrates, in which these things were written. Thus saith Baruch the son of Neriah to the brethren carried into captivity: 'Mercy and peace.' I bear in mind, my brethren, the love of Him who created us, who loved us from of old, and never hated us, but above all educated us. And truly I know that behold all we the twelve tribes are bound by one bond, inasmuch as we are born from one father. Wherefore I have been the more careful to leave you the words of this epistle before I die, that ye may be comforted regarding the evils which have come upon you, and that ye may be grieved also regarding the evil that has befallen your brethren; and again, also, that ye may justify His judgment which He has decreed against you that ye should be carried away captives for what ye have suffered is disproportioned to what ye have done in order that, at the last times, ye may be found worthy of your fathers. Therefore, if ye consider that ye have now suffered those things for your good, that ye may not finally be condemned and tormented, then ye will receive eternal hope; if above all ye destroy from your heart vain error, on account of which ye departed, hence. For if ye so do these things, He will continually remember you, He who always promised on our behalf to those who were more excellent than we, that He will never forget or forsake us, but with much mercy will gather together again those who were dispersed.

From Wikipedia:

2 Baruch also known as the Syriac Apocalypse of Baruch is a Jewish pseudepigraphical text written in the late 1st century CE or early 2nd century CE, after the fall of Jerusalem to the Romans in 70 AD. It is not part of the canon of either the Jewish or most Christian Bibles but is part of the Syriac Peshitta. It has 87 sections.

The original Aramaic text, along with a number of translations, can be found here:

http://ocp.acadiau.ca/?2Bar

Messages In This Thread
Re: To Don: Genetic Mapping of modern Assyrians - by Paul Younan - 04-03-2008, 09:53 PM