Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any NEW Information On Mari/P.E.A.C.E. ?
Shlama to Albion, Christina, Thirdwoe and to the rest of the forum--

Todah for your kind words. I can only pray that Mari/PEACE offers something for every kind of person of faith, or even those who have no faith but are curious as to how the Aramaic words of Y'shua read. In the end, while I of course come from my Nazarene Jewish viewpoint, Mari/PEACE, like the Peshitta itself, is bigger than any of us. It belongs to all people of all points of view.

It has also been a very long struggle to get to this point. I often wondered how deep I should go in the discussion of the text and what the balance is between telling the truth as I see it (and has been not commmonly told IMHO) and not going too far in criticism of others. In the end, the best I could do was try to direct the readers to the places in the diglot that will be the most meaningful for them. So, generally speaking, the footnotes in the text focus on broad theological themes and linguistics; whereas the Appendix and other materials focus on finer halachic details and on how the text was put together, scholarly methodology, outlook and so on.

In the end, I am just one man and have to be true to myself, but at the same time I am extremely grateful to everyone here. Whatever joy Mari/PEACE may bring you, consider it my way of saying thanks to you individually and collectively for this scholarly place that is peshitta.org. And whatever else I may say that is a contrary opinion to one you now hold, please know that all of you reside in my respect, peace and love and that my goal remains to explain my faith rather than "convert" anyone.

With all of this of course, the guiding principle needs to be faithfulness to the Holy Peshitta text first and foremost, but unlike a few that I will not name I think it is important to acknowledge the human factor and its limitations in translating the original Word of YHWH. What Paul Younan said in 2000 about his efforts is doubly echoed in Mari/PEACE by me.

And so, like him, my goal here is more to give the reader the resources they need to ascertain what THEIR VISION of THEIR PESHITTA might be. The English is on one side, the Aramaic on the other. Footnotes below. Articles to the side. To those of you who have seen a Talmud page, it is similar to it in approach even though it doesn't look anything like one.

On the other hand, just as some reading Talmud might gravitate to the main text, others to the tosephot, others to Rashi, etc, the same principal applies here. Some will read the immediate English and stop. Others the Aramaic to see how it reads. Still others want to delve into footnotes and others into broad studies. Whatever the case, within Mari/PEACE my prayer is you will find at least some of what you are looking for even if you disagree with me on other points.

And finally, I don't know how any one person or diglot can live up to all the expectations that may exist but I do know that given some other situations we can and we should try to keep doing better with the Aramaic NT Scriptures, and so hopefully Mari/PEACE will meet that need which never really goes away and be a step in the right direction.

Shlama w'burkate
Andrew Gabriel Roth

Messages In This Thread
Re: Any NEW Information On Mari/P.E.A.C.E. ? - by Andrew Gabriel Roth - 03-24-2008, 04:39 PM