Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peshitta NT in "Hebrew" characters
Shlama,

Dave, you are correct. I wrote the director of the Peshitta foundation and asked about these files. Following is the correspondence.

Ya'aqub

Quote:Shlama Stephen,

It's been a while since I wrote you. I wanted to ask about the text you have on this link, <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.standardversion.org/eastern_aramaic_peshitta/">http://www.standardversion.org/eastern_ ... _peshitta/</a><!-- m -->. Someone asked about the origin of this text on Hakham Paul's peshitta.org. It looks to me that it's the Bible Society's Peshitto or maybe a revision of it. If you could be so kind as to advise me on its origin and specific version this is, I would be grateful.

God bless you,
Ya'aqub

Quote:Shalom Yaaqub,

It is very good to hear from you. I pray that you and your family are doing well.

Thank for your inquiry regarding the "Peshitta" text on site.

I believe the text was submitted a couple of years ago by an individual who claimed it was the "Eastern" text, but after I personally reviewed it sometime ago, it appears that it is from the Western version instead, especially with some of the textual errors within it, and as far as I am aware, no revisions have been made to the text unless it was done without my knowledge when we had [name withheld] volunteering in Tel Aviv. The index page should be updated to reflect this information but with all the changes in administration I have not had time to request this. Perhaps sometime next week I can have that either changed or removed completely.

Honestly, I would prefer to have the Eastern text there instead of the Western. Most people I have spoken with have no use for the Western text other than comparing it with the original. But then there are those that would disagree with this. There are plenty of copies of the Western text on the internet on several Web sites.

[I have removed additional correspondence not relevant to this conversation]

Please let me know if there is anything that I can assist you with. Have a blessed Shabbat.

Sincerely,
Stephen Pingha
The Peshitta Foundation

P.S. I will be out of the office from the February 11-14.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Peshitta NT in "Hebrew" characters - by Karl - 01-23-2008, 04:54 AM
Re: Peshitta NT in "Hebrew" characters - by yaaqub - 01-24-2008, 03:26 PM