Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could Somebody Please Explain This Passage To Me?
"FOR as a man who journeyed called his servants, and delivered to them his property: To one he gave five talents, and to another two, and to another one, each man according to his faculty; and forthwith went away. But he who had received five talents went and traded with them, and gained five others. Likewise he who (had received) two by trading gained two others. But he who had received one went, dug in the earth, and hid the money of his lord. After a long time the lord of those servants came, and received from them the account. Then he drew near who had received the five talents, and brought five others, and said, My lord, five talents thou gavest me: behold, five others I have gained by them. His lord said to him, It is well, good and faithful servant; over a little thou hast been faithful, over much I will establish thee: enter into the joy of thy lord. And he of the two talents approached, and said, My lord, two talents thou gavest me: behold, two others I have gained by them. His lord saith to him, It is well, servant good and faithful; over a little thou hast been faithful, over much will I establish thee: enter into the joy of thy lord. But he also drew near who had received the one talent, and said, My lord, I knew thee, that thou wast a hard man, reaping where thou hadst not sowed, and gathering together from whence thou hadst not dispersed. And I feared, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: behold, thou hast thine own. His lord answered, Thou evil and slothful servant, thou didst know me that I reap where I have not sowed, and collect from whence I have not dispersed. Did it not behove thee to cast my money upon the table, that when I came I might require mine own with its increase ? Take therefore from him the talent, and give it unto him who hath ten talents. For unto him who hath shall be given, and it shall be added to him; but he who hath not, that also which he hath shall be taken from him. And the indolent servant cast forth into the darknesses without; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

This is from Ethridge's Peshitto version.

I really DON'T understand The Lord's doing here.

In the end, He takes away even what this man DOESN'T HAVE.

Every time that I read this passage, I must admit that Our Lord seems like a tyrant to me.

I KNOW from personal experience that this is NOT The Lord's nature toward hurting humanity (among whom, I count myself).

Could someone please explain this parable to me and help me to see how Our Lord is not a tyrant here?

I REALLY WANT to see this passage's goodness..........but honestly, right now, I DON'T see that at all!

Thanks, Shlama, Albion

Messages In This Thread
Could Somebody Please Explain This Passage To Me? - by *Albion* - 12-27-2007, 12:41 AM