Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jakob and James
Shlama Chris,

I already answered that question. You were not reading:
"to distinguish it from the patriarch's name".
The Peshitta has Yaqob for both because both had the same name . "Iakobos" is a Greek form of a Semitic name.
You do believe the apostles were Israeli Jews, do you not ? They certainly were not Greek.

Have you read of the recent discovery of James's Ossuary of the first century ? It has an Aramaic inscription ,"Yaqob akhi d'Yeshua Bar Yosip". -"Jacob brother of Yeshua son of Joseph." Same spelling as the Peshitta for our Lord's brother.

Read Josephus' testimony in his introduction and Antiquities 20,11,2. He wrote all his works in Aramaic and had them translated into Greek. He wrote that the people of Palestine did not know Greek and would not learn it, as it was undesireable for them to learn the languages of Gentiles.He knew of two or three men fluent in Greek, and he himself had studied it and was a very learned Pharisee and priest.Yet he said he was not fluent in that language.

That has been pretty well established. There is no other first century historian that contradicts Josephus' testimony
on this point. If the Jews of Palestine did not understand Greek, how would they have written the NT in Greek and to whom would they have written it ? It doesn't take a nuclear
physicist to figure this out. The NT would have been written in the language of the writers and their audience. It was later translated into Greek, even as The LXX and Josephus' works were.

Aramaic does sometimes transliterate words from Greek and Latin, especially names, such as "Petrus" , for "Petros" in Acts 1:13 and 1 Peter 1:1;2 Peter 1:1. Why is that useless ? Simeon Kapha had preached to some Gentiles and they received his message. They called him "Petros".The Aramaic preserves that in three places.

Sorry, but the Greek is nothing but a translation. If you want evidence, I can provide plenty. If you want only to assert your position and support it by asking questions, then you reveal the lack of evidence to support your position.

Blessings,

Dave
Get my NT translations, books & articles at :
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://aramaicnt.com">http://aramaicnt.com</a><!-- m --> and Lulu.com
I also have articles at BibleCodeDigest.com

Messages In This Thread
Jakob and James - by Chris Weimer - 05-11-2005, 12:42 AM
[No subject] - by ograabe - 05-11-2005, 02:23 PM
[No subject] - by Chris Weimer - 05-11-2005, 05:26 PM
[No subject] - by gbausc - 05-11-2005, 06:32 PM
[No subject] - by Chris Weimer - 05-11-2005, 07:38 PM
[No subject] - by gbausc - 05-11-2005, 09:09 PM
[No subject] - by Chris Weimer - 05-11-2005, 09:40 PM
[No subject] - by ograabe - 05-12-2005, 11:14 AM
[No subject] - by gbausc - 05-12-2005, 10:02 PM
Josephus - by judge - 05-12-2005, 10:15 PM