Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
found / burned motifs both work?!?!?
Shlama Akhay,

Some of the Greek texts differ as to how the final phrase of Second Peter 3:10 should read. This verse from the 1901 American Standard Version reads as follows:

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall be dissolved with fervent heat, and the earth and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

Some Greek editions have e??req??setai - heurethesetai - "shall be found". The footnote of George Berry's Greek-English Interlinear reads "shall be detected".
The ASV rendering "shall be burned up" as given above is kataka??setai - katakaesetai in the Greek text. As you can see, the only similarity is the "-esetai" ending of these two words.
The two Greek words don't look or sound anything alike except for this ending. The meanings of these two words have nothing in common. "Found / detected" versus "burned up".

What I was fascinated by is the fact that this passage in Second Peter which concerns the wrath and indignation of God not only has perfect correlation in certain Old Testament verses, but BOTH THEMES (the found / detected / discovered motif AS WELL AS the consumed / burned up motif represented by these two Greek variants in Second Peter 3:10) are answered to.
The examples that I feel the Lord led me to contain the word 'nostrils' such as "smoke of His nostrils" and "blast of the breath of His nostrils".

Second Samuel 22:9 (repeated in Psalm 18:8) - There went up a smoke out of his nostrils, and fire out of his mouth devoured: coals were kindled by it.

Second Samuel 22:16 (repeated in Psalm 18:15) - And the channels of the sea appeared, the foundations of the world were discovered, at the rebuking of the LORD, at the blast of the breath of his nostrils.

So both themes of this Greek variant ("found" and "burned up") have their Old Testament counterpart from these Semitic idioms, namely, "smoke out of his nostrils" and "blast of the breath of His nostrils".

The Syriac Peshitto follows the "shall be found" reading with the word Xkt4t whose root is Xk4 . <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.peshitta.com/word.html?word=21279">http://www.peshitta.com/word.html?word=21279</a><!-- m --> What I can't understand is why Lamsa, Murdock and others put the negative in their translations and made it "shall not be found" !?!?! The text doesn't seem to support it !!

Any thoughts?

Shlama w'Burkate, Larry Kelsey

Messages In This Thread
found / burned motifs both work?!?!? - by Larry Kelsey - 05-01-2005, 05:27 AM
Elements melt and earth remains ! - by gbausc - 05-03-2005, 02:35 PM