Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the title of son of man,
Thanks Dave!

I'm just a new convert so thanks for the in depth analysis. It seems that most of the writings that assume Greek Primacy, don't ever do so explicity. I've been using my alumni card at the u of waterloo library and fitzmyer is the perfect example. He writes a book called 'the semitic background of the new testament', but never actually gives any explanation as to why he assumes the nt was originally penned in greek, and not in the language it would have been spoken, aramaic. He is only looking for his aramaic studies to enlighten his greek but couldn't possibly even consider that his aramaic studies should replace his greek. This I believe shows the depth to which the assumption of greek primacy has been made by the western theological tradition. According to my seminary NT professor, fitzmyer is the cutting edge of aramaic research, and yet even I, an amateur student of hebrew, aramaic, and greek can see that the far easier explanations come when you assume aramaic primacy, not greek. Not to mention the fact that the linguistic and interpretive dance and juggle act you have to do to maintain greek primacy is silly and ludicrous at times.

peace
zion
Zion

Messages In This Thread
the title of son of man, - by zion - 03-24-2005, 04:04 AM
Peshitta Primacy explains the facts - by gbausc - 03-25-2005, 02:34 PM
[No subject] - by zion - 03-25-2005, 03:50 PM