Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what is "Mara"?
Shlama John,

Paul would be the best person to answer this, but in lieu of his temporary
detainment, I will offer a response.

The first site you listed has this :
Quote:"Our first need is to understand the history of the Torah and what it has been through. It is sometimes hard to comprehend but the fact is that both Torah and Peshitta (the Holy Bible of the Church of the East) scrolls have been destroyed many times over. There are no originals of either and we can only pray that our dedication to research will again lead us to the ultimate truth. Nothing remains the same. We must learn that it is not wise to stick with current belief systems while knowing so much of the truth has been lost.

That is so much claptrap. It is one claim "that scrolls have been destroyed many times over ; it is another to say "so much of the truth has been lost". That is a statement without proof and no evidence is offered.

As far as "Marya" and "Mara", the guy is all wet. "Mara" is found 33 times in The Peshitta NT. I see only three of these that are connected to Jesus.
"Mara" means "master". It usually refers to a human master. "Marya" occurs 239 times in the NT; 32 of those are connected directly to Jesus.
This same word occurs in The OT Peshitta over 6000 times. It never refers to any but The Supreme Being. This word is unmistakeable in Aramaic ,as such. The Peshitta writer(s) would be self condemned if he /they were to ascribe this Name to Yeshua in error 32 times !

Smith's Compendious Dictionary (your second link) has much more weighty authority than the first. It is much more likely that
Quote:"In-house Scholar"
first quoted is in error than that The Peshitta is as sloppy as he suggests. Anyone who studies The Peshitta knows that , of all versions of the NT in Greek, Latin or any other language, The Peshitta is the least deserving of the epithets "sloppy" or "careless".

I know there is another post from Paul on this in which he quotes another Aramaic dictionary that has "Jesus" listed next to the entry for "Marya" as a definition !

Blessings,

Dave
Get my NT translations, books & articles at :
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://aramaicnt.com">http://aramaicnt.com</a><!-- m --> and Lulu.com
I also have articles at BibleCodeDigest.com

Messages In This Thread
what is "Mara"? - by johnl285 - 12-19-2004, 08:55 PM
Mara and Marya - by gbausc - 12-19-2004, 09:59 PM
Qu - by Dan Gan - 12-20-2004, 05:16 AM
[No subject] - by peshitta_enthusiast - 12-25-2004, 04:50 AM
[No subject] - by gbausc - 12-25-2004, 07:13 PM
[No subject] - by peshitta_enthusiast - 12-26-2004, 12:08 AM
[No subject] - by Dave - 12-26-2004, 09:40 AM
[No subject] - by Dave - 12-26-2004, 02:59 PM