Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aphrahat quoting OS?
I've been involve in another discussion elsewhere.

And it has been suggested that Aphrahat quotes the OS against the peshitta. Here is what was written to me.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://new.carmforums.org/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=114&topic_id=2137&mode=full&page=">http://new.carmforums.org/dc/dcboard.ph ... full&page=</a><!-- m -->

As for Aphraates, he added 3 kings (Ahazia, Joash & Amozia - a gloss which is found in the Curetonian) to the Matthean genealogy and also agrees with the Old Syriac against the Peshitta in 9:13, 18:30, 21:43, 23:6 and 25:40. He used a lot of paraphrase in his Commentary, so it's often difficult to assign his writings to one text type or another.

Any one know about these instances?

Added in edit:
The gentleman made these further comments in the next post.

Matthew 9:13 - Aphraates agrees with the Peshitta against the Old Syriac. However, there are a few other singular readings (no other major manuscript has the readings) where Aphraates agrees with the Old Syriac against the Peshitta in Matthew: 18:24, 9:28, 4:16 and 19:22 and in 16:21 with the Curetonian (Sy-S has lacunae).
Furthermore, Aphraates disagrees with both the Peshitta AND the Palimpsest when it agrees with the Curetonian in Matthew 2:20 and 19:21.
The following Peshitta manuscripts agree with the Old Syriac against the majority of Sy-P texts in Matthew:
#14 with Sy-S in 26:7
#18 with Sy-S in 27:21
#3 with Sy-C in 6:32 (Sy-S not extant)
#4 with Sy-C in 22:18.
I don't have the manuscript numbers handy, there are also copies of the Peshitta which agree with the Old Syriac against the majority of Sy-P witnesses in verses 1:22, 4:6, 14:13, 15:7 and 24:38.
Thus, you can see that even the Peshitta is not completely uniform in the copies which have come down to us through the ages

Messages In This Thread
Aphrahat quoting OS? - by judge - 08-31-2004, 09:40 PM
Re: Aphrahat quoting OS? - by Paul Younan - 09-01-2004, 01:33 AM