Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aramaic idiom Ephesians 1:4 predestined
Hi All,

Who can shed some light on these two verbs ocurring several times in the Peshitta, in Greek just translated as 'predestined'
Qadem Rašman leh

I can make this:
"predestined engraved us for him."

Who can tell us some more about this phrase, and how it should be translated correctly?
Interesting question! I hope someone can answer with an Aramaic perspective!

I wonder if it is the same word in Daniel 5:24 & 25:
ודנה כתבא די רשים מנא מנא תקל ופרסין
... and in 6:10(11)?

LXX translates רשים with ενεταξεν ≈ inserted.

The Gothic translations of Ephesians 1:4 have: fauragarairoþ uns
faura- ≈ pre-
ga- can either correspond to aorist and completed action, or express cooperation like latin co-
rairoþ is past tense of *redan — a word that lives on in still spoken European languages and seems to have meanings like prepare or provide for.
קדם רשׁמן

קדם speaks of what comes before you, such as when you meet someone you stand in front of them, or likewise, to prevent someone from going forward you stand in front of them...so this word simply speaks of what happens 'before', which is the phrase 'pre', in predestine.

רשׁמ is what Sestir mentioned, related to the Aramaic found in Daniel 5:24, 25, and the Hebrew equivalent found in Dan 10:24. It refers to the engraving or inscribing done when one commits something to writing, something more sure than the spoken word. If you look at the other uses of the word in Dan 6, it speaks of the King signing the writing. You get the sense of this being something unalterable, similar to the American expression 'written in stone'.

I would therefore translate it as God 'before inscribed (engraved) us to him.' I sense a guarantee that I can count on in this action to whoever he does this with.

Ronen
Thanks all. Great comments.
The portion of the verse in question, reads thus:
ܘܒܚܘܒܐ ܩܕܡ ܪܫܡܢ ܠܗ

"and in His love formerly marked us for Him,"