Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Color of The Messiah's Robe
Paul,

What is the difference in the meaning between the term "garments" in Luke 23:11, "garments" in John 19:2, and "robe" in Matthew 27:28?

In the Greek there is a clear difference in the meaning of the word "robe" (as in the English translations) of Matthew 27:28 and John 19:2. The "robe" in Matthew 27:28 is a "chlamus" and the "robe" in John 19:2 is a "himation".

If a similar difference exists in Aramaic (as it does in Greek) then I have the solution for the riddle of the color of The Messiah's robe.

Keith
Shlama Akhi Keith

Matthew normally uses the Aramaic word "nakhta" "garment" for articles of clothing in his gospel. In reference to the robe, he chose the Greek word "chlymas" for the official robe of royalty in Roman and Greek style.

John an Luke were not as specific, and used the generic "nakhta".

So yes, the same differentiation exists in the Aramaic text as it does in the Greek text.

+Shamasha
The phrase 'scarlet robe' in Matthew 27:28 is klmys dzKhuryTha. The Aramaic word for scarlet (zKhuryTha) has the word white (Khur) within it.

I'll venture this robe given to the messiah (kuThynh ayThyh huTh dla Khyta mn lEal zqyrTha klh) was originally the color white, like light, only dyed scarlet. I expect there are many clues about the robe, but one that comes to my mind especially is that his robe was not torn by the Roman soldiers' probability exercise (casting lots in John 19:24). Light appears seamless (the robe was seamless) because of its ability to travel all possible paths (calculate probability amplitudes in QED), successfully navigating probabilities without being torn.

White can also symbolize unity of colors (diversity among peoples, languages, etc), cleanliness (important for a priest), and lamb's wool. Scarlet has different meanings of course, and probably the most prominent here are blood and royalty.

This is a cool topic bringing together the old testament and new testament. I hope to learn more.

This color scarlet also appears in the Book of Revelation 17:4, 18:12, 18:16. I recommend reading about scarlet and the cross by studying the life-cycle of the crimson worm (from white to scarlet to white) highlighted in the book of Job. As you read, remember that the Aramaic word for scarlet (zKhuryTha) has the word white (Khur) within it -- the idea is that the two colors work together to reveal a saga.

It feels like there is no limit to the cool ways that our earth points to the awesomeness of YHVH and his unique son Yahshua. Reminds me of Psalm 100:1 "Shout joyfully to YHVH all the earth serve YHVH with gladness."

As for the word klmys, apparently this is one word/robe that is not to be divided (interesting if you did though - kl (all) and mysd (foundation) and zKhuryTha (scarlet). When we know Yahshua means "Yah's rock" and that he is the foundation for salvation through his blood, then the meaning of the phrase deepens. It feels also like there is a deeper meaning behind Matthew's idea that these Latin speakers put a Greek word/robe on the Aramaic speaker Yahshua. Reminds me of the mystery of three languages on the cross describing Yahshua as 'King of the Jews'.

[Image: white-light-cone-combination.png]