Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Exactly Is Wrong With the AENT's Galatians?
I just read Galatians today from my new 5th edition AENT. I heard a lot of people complain that his translation was terrible but I don't see anything wrong with it. The only thing I think could be taken as being too interpretive were his translations of 1:13-14, which says, "You have heard then, regarding my previous conduct in (traditional) Judaism...and how greatly advanced I was in (Orthodox) Judaism..." Even these readings seem insertions he made in parenthesis are not necessarily wrong. To me, the Aramaic English New Testament is the best translation of the Eastern Peshitta on the market.
I don't have the AENT. But I know from youtube videos that the authors say very unbased things. They consider themselves Messianic. No problem with that, but the translation is too clearly Messianic coloured. The Peshitta is neutral, straight and simple, not just messianic.

But just my 2 cents. You have your opinion.
Shlama Brethren:
Andrew Roth, as I have known him, through internet postings and a phone call some years ago is a scholar. To say that his translation of Galatians is his own interpretation is true in my opinion. The Netzarim (Jewish believers in Jesus) keep the Torah, and AGR believes in keeping The Torah sacred. The little treasures that come from the study and application of the Torah, Prophets and the Writings are truly wonderous Semitic thought that can be delved in and understood in PaRDiS, as regards halakha (to walk in, understand and do correctly). Without the instruction of Torah/Aurayta no one can truly articulate just what sin is. I understand that we have a true, written record. Nevertheless, each one sees it as he sees it and I also am happy for the freedom to get personal with the WORD of Alaha/YHVH. The Pashat, Remez, Darash and Sod allow us to delve deep in our rememberances and applications of the sacred writings. I do hope that you benefit from reading this post. Your thoughts!

Shlama,

Stephen Silver