Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When did the CoE change from observing Passover for Easter
Can some one refer me to stuff showing the early years of the CoE when they used to keep Passover on the 14th instead of observing Easter Sunday, and just when this change took place?
Shlama Texas Rat,

What do you mean by "observe" Passover - in the sense that the Israelites were commanded to observe it? It is noted as a day on the liturgical calendar of the CoE, but we do not (nor have we ever) observed it in the manner commanded of the Israelites (we are not Israelite).

+Shamasha
Some one on this site (can not remember who or just which thread) said that the CoE used to keep the Feast and then later changed over to Easter Sunday instead. I wish I would have took the time to ask them but I was busy doing other things and forgot just where or who it was. So you are saying that they are mistaken. I tried to GOOGLE the subject but found nothing as stated by this individual had said. Thanks Paul for setting this straight as I would hate to spend more time searching for something that is not out there.
The Texas RAT Wrote:Some one on this site (can not remember who or just which thread) said that the CoE used to keep the Feast and then later changed over to Easter Sunday instead. I wish I would have took the time to ask them but I was busy doing other things and forgot just where or who it was. So you are saying that they are mistaken. I tried to GOOGLE the subject but found nothing as stated by this individual had said. Thanks Paul for setting this straight as I would hate to spend more time searching for something that is not out there.

Did you see the State Farm commercial about how they can't put anything on the internet that isn't true? Bonjour !

Christ is our Passover. { <- very important period }

+Shamasha
That's one of my favorite commercials, beside that its hilarious, because I get asked that question a lot myself (since the making of that commercial).
The Texas RAT Wrote:Can some one refer me to stuff showing the early years of the CoE when they used to keep Passover on the 14th instead of observing Easter Sunday, and just when this change took place?

I think Mar Ammanuel of Canada has written that many of the christian jews in mesoptamia celebrated Easter (not passover) on 14th of April of the moon, no matter what day it was. That changed however in the first council of Nicea.
Barjakob Wrote:I think Mar Ammanuel of Canada has written that many of the christian jews in mesoptamia celebrated Easter (not passover) on 14th of April of the moon, no matter what day it was. That changed however in the first council of Nicea.
Hi Barjakob,

can you share a source text of Mar Ammanuel on this subject?
Hi Will,
what i have is this:
The Creed of Aphraates
(from Henry Hill, ?The Assyrians: The Church of the East,? in Light from the East, ed. by
Henry Hill (Toronto: Anglican Book Centre, 1988), 126, with additions from Moffett,
130)
Now this is faith:
When a man shall believe in God, the Lord of all,
Who made the heavens and the earth and the seas and all that is in them,
Who made Adam in His image,
Who gave the Law to Moses,
Who sent His Spirit in the Prophets,
Who sent the Messiah into the world,
And that a man should believe in the bringing to life of the dead,
And believe also in the mystery of Baptism:
This is the Faith of the Church of God.
And that a man should separate himself
from observing hours and Sabbaths and months and seasons,

and enchantments and divinations and astrology and magic,
and from fornication and from revelling and from
vain doctrines, the weapons of the Evil One, and
from the blandishments of honeyed words, and
from blasphemy and from adultery,
And that no man should bear false witness,
and that none should speak with double tongues:
These are the works of the Faith that is laid on
the true Rock which is the Messiah, upon whom all the building doth rise.

Aphraates lived from 270-345 AD, so already in this time he forbid to observe the jewish festivals!

Kind regards
Michael
The Texas RAT Wrote:
Barjakob Wrote:I think Mar Ammanuel of Canada has written that many of the christian jews in mesoptamia celebrated Easter (not passover) on 14th of April of the moon, no matter what day it was. That changed however in the first council of Nicea.
Hi Barjakob,

can you share a source text of Mar Ammanuel on this subject?

You can look up the term Quartodecimanism or ask someone from Canada who knows Mar Ammanuel.
Barjakob Wrote:You can look up the term Quartodecimanism or ask someone from Canada who knows Mar Ammanuel.
Yeah, I have studied Quartodeciman in the past and I know that Polycarp was one, but do not remember it telling anything of the CoE though.