Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transliteration Question
To what extent do you all think transliteration should be used in a translation of the Peshitta? I'm thinking that if I was to do one I would transliterate mainly the names of persons, places, objects, and titles (like "Abba" for "Father" and "Mar" instead of "Lord"). Since the yod in first person possessive nouns is left unpronounced in Classical Aramaic, would it still be acceptable to transliterate the nouns in John 20:28 as "Mari" and "Alahi" or should I just have it as "Mar" and "Alah"?
If you want to have a translation/transliteration...then that is what you'll have to do. But some of the names and places will be totally un-recognizable in your version...and those who read it, who might only know English, will need a glossary at the end to help them know who and what these people and places are speaking of.

And if not, then they would need to translate your transliterations to know who and where and what its talking about, unless you put out a paralell version, with just a straight translation on one side and the other with the transliterations version.

There ya go, Dylan...that has yet to be done I think.

Shlama,
Chuck
That sounds like a fascinating idea...I know I'm not very well versed in Syriac, but I was thinking that when I got more knowledge of the language that it'd be interesting to revise John W. Etheridge's New Testament, correcting mistranslations, updating the archaic language, and making it agree with the Eastern Peshitta 100% when there is a disagreement between it and the Peshitto. I know Roth did something similar, but I'd like to give more clear credit to the authors to avoid claims of stealing another man's work (even if it is in the public domain). I think I'd call it "Eastern Peshitta New Testament: A Revision of John Wesley Etheridge's Translation of the Syriac New Testament".

I think it'd be interesting to translate Westcott & Hort or Nestle-Ayland's Greek texts, along with the Byzantine text and put it in a parallel edition with a translation of the Peshitta and the Peshitto (which is basically a revised version of the previously mentioned translation, but agreeing always with the Peshitto).
:

Sounds like about 20 years or more work, Dylan. But hey, your young yet.

Blessings,
Chuck
ScorpioSniper2 Wrote:To what extent do you all think transliteration should be used in a translation of the Peshitta? I'm thinking that if I was to do one I would transliterate mainly the names of persons, places, objects, and titles (like "Abba" for "Father" and "Mar" instead of "Lord").
After having discussed this subject with a lot of folks about not over Hebraicizing (even a lot of folks in the Hebraic Roots Movement think transliterations have been overly done as well) only names of places and people should be transliterated. Titles only when there is no English equivalent (such as Abba can be translated as Father, Moshiach as The Anointed One, but Alaha needs be Alaha [ G-D does not carry the same definition as Alaha ] and MarYah should stay as MarYah). And Malawkim can be translated Messengers [or not], yet Kerubim is Kerubim.

What ever you do just be sure to not over do it, because, if people have to learn Aramaic to understand every other word then they won't need a translation, they can just read from the Aramaic Texts. And yes a glossary, as Brother Chuck mentioned, is a must to help people with the transliterations (but the smaller you can keep the glossary the more happier your readers will be).
ScorpioSniper2 Wrote:...it'd be interesting to revise John W. Etheridge's New Testament, correcting mistranslations, updating the archaic language, and making it agree with the Eastern Peshitta 100% when there is a disagreement between it and the Peshitto.

As far as I know, there are no Eastern manuscripts / critical editions available to work with, except the Peshitta PDF (with Eastern variants) on this site, and Paul's corrected BFBS docs. But I remember a user's post saying there was one missed Western reading in the corrected text.

Also, to tell you the truth, the Khabouris could be off limits. (1) It would be necessary for the current owner of the manuscript to give permission. (2) And I don't know what Stephen would say about getting Eastern readings from his transcription. (Stephen said "No!" to me, but I don't know what he would tell you.)

So, to be honest, getting 100% Eastern readings would prove somewhat difficult, because of the one accidentally missed Western one, and because of intellectual property regarding the Khabouris.

But don't give up on your planned endeavour. You can make it the most Eastern it may legally be [without copyright infringement].

God bless,

~DC