Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nazarene Life?
Hi all,

I'm sorry if this question has been answered here somewhere before, but I am new to this site and still browsing through all of the interesting posts and articles here. I was looking at an old thread which discussed differences between the CoE and the RCC which stated that bishops and above in the CoE participate in "Nazarene life." Could anyone tell me what exactly that means? Thanks in advance,
Keith
I'm not CoE orRCC, but i wouldguess theymay be talking of a form of nazirite vow (Originally abstain from alcohol, refrain from cutting the hair on one's head for a time, avoid corpses and graves, and any structure which contains such) which is an OT vow (Numbers 6). i could be way off here, but given the context, it's the only thing that makes sense to me.
Nazarene and Nazirite are 2 unrelated words. One being derived from natsar [nun-tzadi-resh] and the other from nazir [nun-zayin-yud-resh]. It doesn't help that the King James translators translated nazir as Nazarite, and some modern translations followed suit. If the inquirer intended Nazirite, then indeed it has been properly addressed.
Aaron S Wrote:Nazarene and Nazirite are 2 unrelated words. One being derived from natsar [nun-tzadi-resh] and the other from nazir [nun-zayin-yud-resh]. It doesn't help that the King James translators translated nazir as Nazarite, and some modern translations followed suit. If the inquirer intended Nazirite, then indeed it has been properly addressed.
i am not saying it is semantically correct, but what else would make sense? If there is such a thing as a "Nazarene life", i don't know what it is (If Nazarene is referring to Jesus, i don't know what that means in practice (as in, which elements of Christ's life are they referring to)). But, as i said, i am not CoE or RCC.

billman, do you think you could link to the original thread?
Perhaps it is from here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2328#p13960
I found it with this Google search query: "nazarene life" site:http://www.peshitta.org/forum/
Thanks Aaron S, yes, that is the one.