Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gehenna: Greek or Aramaic?
See subject.

Often, it is said that the word Gehenna is 'Greek' of Gej Hinnom, however, I suspect this is just Aramaic.

What is known about this?
Isn't it a Hebrew word?
Shalom, Shlama, Salaam & Yiasou.

It is a Greek term which is derived from the Hebrew, the meaning of which is the valley of (the son of Hinnom)...ge-henna (or Ge-Hinnom) Son of-Hinnom, a valley in Jerusalem where an evil person's corps was burned and the cities refuse was burned...

Thirdwoe Wrote:...

It is a Greek term which is derived from the Hebrew, the meaning of which is the valley of (the son of Hinnom)...ge-henna (or Ge-Hinnom) Son of-Hinnom, a valley in Jerusalem where an evil person's corps was burned and the cities refuse was burned...

Shlama Akhay,

Gehenna is an Aramaic form of the original Hebrew "Ge Hinnom", and the Arabic Jehannam is also derived from the original Hebrew. The Greek simply transliterates it, rather than using the native Greek "hades."

You can find the Aramaic word "Gehenna" in the Targum of the Psalms:

http://books.google.com/books?id=2-_ZHYj...lt#PPP1,M1

See, for instance, Psalm 21:10

Also, see the below attachment:

Attached Files
.jpg   gehenna.JPG (Size: 152.24 KB / Downloads: 877)
+Shamasha Paul bar-Shimun de'Beth-Younan
[Image: sig.jpg]

Brother Paul, thanks for that input. It made me do a little digging tonight. And I am glad to know where to find an online searchable (in part) Aramaic Targum in English.

Though, the Targums that you linked says that the term 'Gehenna' is used 17 times in the Targums....but in the 6 verses where I can search this online volume, it always shows the term in italics in the 9 or ten places where it has the word in the Psalms...

Is this the same as the italics in other volumes, where they used it to show that it is not present in the original text, but really a helper word/words for the text or even a commentary on them....?

I don't find any mention of the word Gehenna for those 6 verses in either the Aramaic, the Hebrew Masoretic, the Greek Septuagint or the Latin Vulgate texts...

It seems to me that the term Gehenna is not original to the text in those places, but that in the Targums it is rather interpretive from the translator, rather than a translation of the text....Am I wrong about this? Or do we say that the Targum preserves the true Word of God in these places, where the others lack it.

Paul Younan Wrote:Gehenna is an Aramaic form of the original Hebrew "Ge Hinnom", and the Arabic Jehannam is also derived from the original Hebrew. The Greek simply transliterates it, rather than using the native Greek "hades."
Hi Paul, do you think it is possible that sheol and not gehenna corrsponds to hades?

I think that hades might actually correspond to the Hebrew/ Aramaic term sheol and not gehenna.
Luqa 16 has the rich man in sheol which would , I think, be the Aramaic equivalent of Hades.
The peshitta of Luqa 12 has gehenna mentioned, which seems, to indicate that Luqa saw sheol as different from gehenna.
I think that Gehenna, has, every time it is used (starting with the Aramaic targum of Isaiah chapter 66 ) an eschatological association, whilst sheol is merely the place of the dead.
I dont think there was a Greek equivalent of Gehenna, because it meant more than just the valley of ge hinnom. It was a term loaded with meaning, to do with the fulfillment of the writings of the hebrew prophets.

It seems to me that the term Gehenna is not original to the text in those places, but that in the Targums it is rather interpretive from the translator, rather than a translation of the text....Am I wrong about this? Or do we say that the Targum preserves the true Word of God in these places, where the others lack it.

Hi Thirdwoe. What about Isaiah 66. Craig Evans a quite respected NT scholar seems to indicate that the word does occur in the/an Aramaic targum of Isaiah 66:24

Quote:The items that the targum has added to the Hebrew text are the very items that lie behind Jesus' statement. Jesus' saying on Gehenna (Mark 9:47-48), where he quotes part of Isa 66:24, again reflects targumic diction. The Hebrew and the Septuagint say nothing about Gehenna, but the targum has: " . . . will not die and their fire shall not be quenched, and the wicked shall be judged in Gehenna. . . ."

This is taken from here.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bible.ca/b-canon-jesus-favored-old-testament-textual-manuscript.htm">http://www.bible.ca/b-canon-jesus-favor ... script.htm</a><!-- m -->

Interesting stuff....Is this saying that Y'shua used the term 'Gehenna' that is only found in the Targum and not in the Hebrew or the Greek translation available during his earthly ministry? So He uses the Targum that speaks of it, knowing that the people had a good idea what the term ment?

I don't see the term Gehenna in the Targum Johnathan for Isaiah 66:24...an online copy is here at the link below...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://books.google.com/books?id=_boCAAAAQAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=chaldee+paraphrase+Isaiah#PPP1,M1">http://books.google.com/books?id=_boCAA ... ah#PPP1,M1</a><!-- m -->

I don't see the term Gehenna in the Targum Johnathan for Isaiah 66:24...an online copy is here at the link below...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://books.google.com/books?id=_boCAAAAQAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=chaldee+paraphrase+Isaiah#PPP1,M1">http://books.google.com/books?id=_boCAA ... ah#PPP1,M1</a><!-- m -->

OK. Well that makes Craig A Evans comments strange. Is there more than one targum of Isaiah extant I wonder?

Is see that Ge-Henna in the Hebrew text shows up a few times as The Valley of the son of Hinnom or Hinnom Valley...Ge=Valley, Hinnom=Henna this was a real place that is used in the New Testament to describe the fate of the wicked...

So the word Gehenna is a composite word of this place called the Valley of Hinnom or the Valley of the son of Hinnom...Hinnom being a jubusite man.

Is see that Ge-Henna in the Hebrew text shows up a few times as The Valley of the son of Hinnom or Hinnom Valley...Ge=Valley, Hinnom=Henna this was a real place that is used in the New Testament to describe the fate of the wicked...

I find James's use of the term the most enigmatic (or perhaps the most illuminating).

Now the tongue is a fire, and the world of sin is like a forest. And this tongue, which is one among our members, marreth our whole body; and it inflameth the series of our generations that roll on like a wheel; and it is itself on fire. Murdock

The tongue is a fire, and the sinful world a forest; that very tongue while it is among our members, can defile our whole body and set on fire the course of our race which has rolled down from the beginning and in the end it is consumed by fire (gehenna). Lamsa.

The tongue is a fire, a world of sin, like a forest is the tongue itself among our members; it defileth all of our body, and burneth the course of our generations which run (forward) as a wheel, and kindleth also itself with fire. Etheridge.

And the tongue is a flame, and the world of sin is like that billowing fire, and yet the tongue is one of our members that puts its stamp on our entire body, and it burns the youth of our generation who run in those circles, and they burn also in the fire. Victor Alexander