Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eastern and Western (Part II)
So, if I've covered every difference between the PeshittA, and the PeshittO, they boil down to THESE:

Here's the end of John's gospel (John 21: 15-17) where in the P'shitta it says:

"feed my lambs"

"feed my sheep"

"feed my ewes"

In Acts 20:28, the Western (Monophysite) PeshittO variant of this verse is:

"Watch therefore, over yourselves, and over all the flock over which the holy spirit has appointed you overseers, *that you feed the church of God* (PeshittO) which he purchased with his blood."

Paul Younan has commented extensively here before that in the Nestorian COE Scriptures i.e. The PeshittA, that a Semitic person would be opposed to this use of the word "blood" in Holy Scripture.

I don't necessarily see how to "fix" this verse without the use of the word "blood" being used in the Peshitta NT.

Perhaps this takes a Semitic mind or soul to understand, or comprehend, neither of which I have, I'm afraid.

The Eastern P'shitta text has "that you feed the church of Messiah", of course.
Here's the Eastern text of the P'shitta of Hebrews 2:9:

"But we see him who was humbled lower than the angels, this same Jesus, because of the suffering of his death, both glory and honor are placed on his head. "For APART FROM God, he tasted death on behalf of everyone."

(The PeshittO has "By the Grace of God, he tasted death on behalf of everyone.").

Here's Hebrew's 2:16

"For he did not assume [his nature] from the angels, but he assumed death from the seed of Abraham."

As I said in an earlier post, there may be another small portion of Luke's gospel that has also been changed in the PeshittO, and perhaps a tiny portion of John's gospel that also has been changed from the PeshittA, to the PeshittO.

I'll leave these to others who actually read the Syriac, and have a natural understanding of it (as OPPOSED to a LEARNED standard of it) to write about.

I hope that this helps not only Yochannon, who's post I set out to answer, but anyone else who might be wondering about the differences between these two texts. i.e., The Peshitta, and The Peshitto.

Shlama, Albion
Shlama Akhi Albion,

Quote:Perhaps this takes a Semitic mind or soul to understand, or comprehend, neither of which I have, I'm afraid.

It's not a matter of having a Semitic mind or soul to understand the problem, it's more a matter of the very concept of God having "blood" or "flesh", that is a pagan concept.

The theological implications of the difference in this verse between these two textual traditions is immense and cannot be understated.

One has a bleeding God, and the other has a bleeding Messiah. One supports the view taken by the Monophysites during the council of Ephesus, the other supports the view taken by the Dyophysites during the council of Ephesus.

One was tampered with. Which one is up to your viewpoint.

Any Jew will confirm to you that the concept of God bleeding, or crying, or sleeping, or eating, or urinating, or defecating, or dying or any such matter is utterly a reprehensible thought in the Semitic psyche.

In the Dyophysite Christology, it is the Manhood of the Messiah which endured these human realities, and not His Deity. Monophysites, on the other hand, believe in a bleeding, dying God.

So therefore the difference between these two versions in this one verse is very important, because it defines exactly who Messiah is at a very fundamental level.

+Shamasha