Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Translation of The Peshitta published!
Shlama Kalkown (Greetings y'all),

This site was down when I published my Aramaic New Testament in Plain English on November 10, so I am letting you know now.
I have based this on my Aramaic-English Interlinear New Testament, which contains the entire text of The 1920 Critical edition of The Peshitta New Testament (also called the 1905 edition). This text is also found in The 1979 ABS Syriac Bible in the NT portion. It represents a collation of 42 mss. in the Gospels, about 14 in the Epistles of Paul and about 7 in the General Epistles. Revelation is based on The Crawford ms. alone. That is 64 Peshitta mss. in toto for the NT- Palestinian Syriac mss., Pocock Epistles and Crawford.

In the interlinear, I have used the Aramaic Ashuri script for the Aramaic text, as I believe it better represents what the first century originals used, although I have illustrated in many places how a Greek translator may have easily misread an Aramaic letter and thereby mistranslated the Peshitta (this happens in The Crawford as well) and created a different reading, or readings. There are over a hundred such examples, comparing Estrangela, Dead Sea Scroll, Ashuri and Greek scripts (miniscule and Uncial). All of them demonstrate that The Greek was translated from The Aramaic text used in this edition. They cover all 27 books of the NT.

The Aramaic New Testament in Plain English (and four other of my books on the Aramaic NT) is available at my web site: aramaicnt.com
All books are available in printed hardback, as downloadable pdf files, some in paperback also. You can also purchase all five of my books on CD for $19.99, and get them all in color, which is very helpful in the many highlighted illustrations I have in both NT's and in Divine Contact, et al. All single download files are $9.99 ; even less for Divine Contact.The Plain English translation has most of the notes the interlinear has, though reduced in size.

The interlinear is 800 pages; the Plain English translation is available in larger or smaller print (8.5x11 & 6x9), 625 & 585 pages respectively)

Tishbowkhta l'Alaha Avown wal Maran Meshikha wal Rukha d'koodsha
(Glory to God our Father, to our Lord The Messiah and to The Spirit of Holiness)

Dave Bauscher
Dear Dave,

I thought about e-mailing you privately about this.

But I've lost your e-mail address.

I think that maybe this is better said in public anyways.

I got your 'Aramaic Peshitta in Plain English' as a download.

I DO like it A LOT!

I copied it onto paper, but not before someone hacked my Lulu account, and I had to pay for it TWICE.

I actually KNOW who did this, if you'd like to know too, just PM me.

But that's a minor thing really. Like swatting a mosquito sort of.

But I have three concerns that I'd like to ask you about here.

First, the price for all three volumes of your Aramaic/English Interlinear New Testament are like $157.00......or something near that.

And I think that there's shipping costs on top of THAT.

Dave, that is *unaffordable* to most of us here on this board.

Yes, I understand for about $20.00 you can buy ALL of your materials on a disk.

A disk requires a computer. There are times in the recent past that I've been without a computer for a long period of time.....and none of this was my fault.

I want a BOOK that you can hold in your hand.

I have the first volume of your Aramaic/English Interlinear Gospels.

But honestly, the other two volumes are out of my price range.

The same holds true for Victor Alexander's new Aramaic to English translation.....he wants $100.00 for it, not counting shipping.

Yet, when I bought his 'Disciples New Testament' back in 2001, it was only about $45.00, maybe less.

If you guys really want to put your books into the hands of readers, you need to consider bringing the price DOWN to where the average person can afford them.

Secondly, using 'Jehovah'. When MarYah (or Marya) or Alaha, is G-d's Name in Aramaic, I just don't understand this.

Yes, I know that 'Jehovah' has a long historical use by various English speaking people groups, but we're talking about translating the P'shitta N.T. here Dave.

This is light years away from your average Old English Bible translation. Wouldn't you agree?

And lastly, how COULD the text of the WESTERN PESHITTO have a New Testament code hidden within it?

It seems to me that if YHWH was going to insert a message behind the text, that He would have chosen *the Eastern P'shitta Text* to do this with.

I make NO claims to be a student of the Bible Codes, so maybe I'm missing something very important here, I just don't know.

But if you have the time and energy, I'd love it if you'd answer these questions.

Thank you so much! Shlama, Albion
Shlama Akhi Albion,

The whole Interlinear is $42.95, so it is affordable in hardback print. You can get the two volumes in paper coil bound for $19.99 each. I never really had three volumes, though I had thought it might have been required at one point.
The new Plain English translation is available for 36 dollars and change plus shipping.

I have transliterated most names of persons and places except familiar OT names. "Yeshua" is used throughout instead of "Jesus" and "Messiah" instead of "Christ", as "Messiah" is actually the English transliteration of the Aramaic "Meshikha". I excepted the Name of God "Maryah" and the title "Alaha" and chose to use the more familiar Old testament translations of the Hebrew - "Yehovah" , which many Hebrew scholars in Israel have confirmed as the OT Hebrew Name and which the Peshitta OT translates invariably as "MarYah". I also translate "Alaha" as "God", even as I would trranslate Elohim as "God". The Aramaic Maryah is almost completely unfamiliar to English readers, and I wanted to give a translation with transliterations, where possible, which would still be favorably received by as many readers as possible without compromising accuracy.

Maryah means "Lord Yah", "Yah" is a short form of "Yehovah" (Jehovah is the familiar English transliteration) which I am very comfortable using and presenting to Bible readers. Most people who read the Bible at all are familiar with it and so I have usually translated "Maryah" as "The Lord Jehovah" in the Plain English translation. It is accurate and understandable.
I have no compunctions about using God's name in Hebrew, Aramaic or English, but I made an English translation which should appeal to English readers, so I have translated God's titles and Name as clearly as I could, instead of transliterating them. I also have listed the Aramaic names and titles in notes, to familiarize the reader with them, but I don't want to scare off the uninitiated with strange and confusing words in a book about God which does not even contain the word "God" one time in English. That strikes me as extremely artificial and strange.

Using the word "Jehovah" should not present a problem, and I am not afraid of using that old King James translation word, found also in other famous Bible translations.

As to the codes, I can say that the long Gospel poetry codes were found in the 27 book canon. The short Divine Name codes are found in Eastern and Western Peshitta texts, both, in highly significant numbers. I cannot tell God which text is proper to encode; neither can you.Simply stated,the codes authenticate both Eastern and Western canons.
I hope this is helpful. Thanks for your interest and inquiries.

Dave