Peshitta Forum
Important information from William Norton's Book - Printable Version

+- Peshitta Forum (http://peshitta.org/for)
+-- Forum: New Testament (http://peshitta.org/for/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Aramaic Primacy Forum (http://peshitta.org/for/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Important information from William Norton's Book (/showthread.php?tid=2553)

Pages: 1 2

Important information from William Norton's Book - konway87 - 03-17-2011

Hello Everyone,
I was reading William Norton's book and I realized that there are few other verses that aren't New Testament Peshitta. I don't think we have noticed these verses. Anyway, Here is William Norton's section about the verses not in Peshitto Syriac.

X. Chief Peculiarities of the Text of the Peshito-Syriac. (Page lxx of the book)

1. Books, passages, and words, NOT contained in it.
2 Peter, 2 and 3 John, Jude, Revelation.

Matthew x. 8. Raise the dead.
,, xxvii 9. Jeremiah, not named.
,, xxvii. 35. That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon
my vesture did they cast lots.

Luke xxii. 17, 18. And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and
said, Take this and divide it among yourselves : for I say unto you,
I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God
shall come.

John vii. 53?viii. 11. The account of the adulteress.

Acts viii. 37. And Philip said, If thou dost trust with all the
heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that
Jesus the Anointed is the Son of God.

Acts XV. 34. But it pleased Silas to remain there.
,, xviii. 6. Your blood is on your own heads.
,, xxviii. 29. And when he had said these things, the Jews
departed, and had much reasoning among themselves.

1 Tim. iii. 16. The word "God" is not expressed, though
evidently understood in the words, " He was revealed in flesh."

1 John V. 7, 8. In heaven, the Father, the Word, and the
Holy Spirit ; and these three are one. And there are three that
bear witness on earth.

The absence of a passage from the Peshito, is not, of itself, evidence
that it is not a part of God's word ; for the passage may have
been added by the inspired writer to a Greek copy issued afterwards,
If Greek authorities give strong evidence that such a passage is of
divine origin, its absence from the Peshito implies that the Peshito
"was made in the life-time of that sacred writer, and before he wrote those words. But if the evidence from Greek authorities is
not decisive, then the absence of the passage from the Peshito
strongly implies that it is an unauthorized addition.

2. Readings which diffeb from the Common Greek text.

In Acts XX. 28, some Jacobite copies have, " The assembly of God,
which he purchased with his own blood." But most Syriac copies
have " The assembly of the Anointed,'' etc. Wichelhaus says, " If
I mistake not, all the Nestorian copies have, ' of the Anointed ;*
some Jacobite copies have, ' of the Anointed ;' some of them have,
' of God.' " (p. 150.) Some Greek authorities have " of the Lord,"
others, "of God." Those Greek authorities which have "of the
Lord," are, on the whole, the more trustworthy.

In 1 Cor. V. 8, some Syriac copies have, "with the leaven^*
instead of, "with the unleavened [bread]," etc.

In Heb. ii. 9, the Nestorian copies have, " For he, apart from
Godhead, tasted death," etc. The Jacobite copies have, "For he,
God, in his merciful favour tasted death," etc. Dr. Lee, 1816,
without giving any authority, has placed the word " God " after
"favour," and has made the passage read thus, "He, by the
merciful favour of God, tasted," etc. But unless manuscript
authority can be produced in proof that such a reading existed, it
has no title to be considered part of the Peshito. Greek copies had
" without God," as early as the time of Origen, and as the Nestorian
copies are, as a rule, so correct, there seems to be no reason for
doubting their correctness in this instance.

I am adding this information too.

Hebrew 2:16 (in Peshitto Syriac William Norton used) agrees with Peshitta.

Re: Important information from William Norton's Book - konway87 - 03-18-2011

I also want to add that William Norton translated 17 books (Romans to 1 John) from Peshitto Syriac to English.

Book "A translation, in English daily used, of the seventeen letters..." contains Romans to Philemon.

William Norton's Book "A TRANSLATION, IN ENGLISH DAILY USED, OF THE PESHITO-SYRIAC TEXT, AND OF THE RECEIVED GREEK TEXT. OF HEBREWS, JAMES, 1 PETER, and 1 JOHN." contains Hebrews to 1 John.

Both of these books are available on books.google.com

Re: Important information from William Norton's Book - konway87 - 03-21-2011

I am posting this information (first written by Brother Larry) again. Its about 1 Peter 4:14-15.

(Norton's translation of the Peshitta of 1st Peter 4:14) And if ye are reproached on account of the name of the Anointed, blessed are ye; because the glorious Spirit of God rests on you.

(Norton's translation of the Greek text of 1st Peter 4:14) If ye are reproached on account of the name of the Anointed, blessed (are ye); because the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you. By them he is blasphemed; but by you he is glorified.

(1st Peter 4:15 - Peshitta -- William Norton) Only let no one of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as a doer of evil deeds.

(1st Peter 4:15 - Greek texts -- William Norton) For let not anyone of you suffer as a murderer, or a thief, or an evil-doer, or an overseer of another's (charge).

Norton wrote a footnote on these two verses.....

Neither the words, "By them he is blasphemed, but by you he is glorified," verse 14 : nor the words, "as an overseer of another's (charge) ;" verse 15 : are in any of my copies of the Peshito-Syriac text ; namely Walton's, 1653-7 ; Gutbir's, 1663 ; the Maronite, 1703 ; Schaaf's, 1717, and his readings of all previous editions ; Lee's, 1816 ; and the Nestorian of Ooroomiah, 1852. Most of the Greek copies have those words, but the testimony of the Peshito-Syriac is entirely against them.

These underlined verses from Greek texts aren't found in Etheridge Translation, Lamsa's Translation, and Murdock's Translation either. This means that these verses were added just like Pericope de Adultera was added to Gospel of Yukhanan Shlikha.

Re: Important information from William Norton's Book - distazo - 03-24-2011

I would more be interested in a hint why vers 15 ends with

let nobody suffer as one who is "charged/interferes with other ones affairs." (or something like that)

This makes NO sense to me. I don't know anybody who suffers because of that.

The Peshitta has 'let nobody suffer as a criminal'. Well, this makes sense.

So, can we prove that the Greek is a (wrong) translation of the Syriac?

Re: Important information from William Norton's Book - konway87 - 03-24-2011

In Greek, we see lots of addition. In William Norton's Books, you will see how much confusions Greek caused, because of the poor translation.

Re: Important information from William Norton's Book - g_a_kowalski - 03-28-2011

distazo Wrote:I would more be interested in a hint why vers 15 ends with
Verse 15 of what book and chapter?

Re: Important information from William Norton's Book - konway87 - 03-29-2011

Distazo was talking about 1 Peter 4:15.

Re: Important information from William Norton's Book - konway87 - 04-06-2011

I am posting here the translation of Hebrews and James by William Norton.

There is a Notes Section at the end of each chapter of the book. Most of these notes are from William Norton's book. And some of them are from "Was New Testament Really Written in Greek?"

Here is the link to the book.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QOEJ2EWX">http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QOEJ2EWX</a><!-- m -->

I don't know if I made any spelling errors. You can correct them if you find any mistake. I think its a very good translation.

Re: Important information from William Norton's Book - konway87 - 04-07-2011

I forgot to mention one thing - The files work better with Wordpad. I think the size of the document gets smaller when MS Word is used.

Re: Important information from William Norton's Book - konway87 - 04-14-2011

I am also adding this information from William Norton's Book.

Hebrews 12:20 - for they were not able to endure patiently that which was commanded, that even if an animal
went near the mountain, it should be stoned; (Peshitta)

Hebrews 12:20 - for they could not endure what was commanded ;?Even if a beast touch the
mountain, it shall be stoned, or thrust through with a dart, (a) (Greek Text)

NOTE

(a) - Ver. 20. The words, "or thrust through with a dart," are not in the Syriac text, nor in some Greek copies.

Re: Important information from William Norton's Book - konway87 - 04-15-2011

This is just to show comparison of Norton's Peshitta Translation and Other Peshitta Translations.

1) This dukhrana link shows the translation of Hebrew 4:9 by Murdock, Lamsa, Etheridge, and KJV.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://dukhrana.com/peshitta/analyze_verse.php?verse=Hebrews+4:9&font=Estrangelo+Edessa">http://dukhrana.com/peshitta/analyze_ve ... elo+Edessa</a><!-- m -->

Here is Norton's Translation of Hebrews 4:9 - "So then, It is firmly sure that the people of God are to keep a Sabbath rest."

2) This dukhrana link shows the translation of 1 John 5:21 by Murdock, Lamsa, Etheridge, and KJV.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://dukhrana.com/peshitta/analyze_verse.php?verse=1John+5:21&font=Estrangelo+Edessa&size=150">http://dukhrana.com/peshitta/analyze_ve ... a&size=150</a><!-- m -->%

Here is Norton's Translation of 1John 5:21 - "My sons, keep yourselves from the worship of images."

Re: Important information from William Norton's Book - konway87 - 04-26-2011

Hello Everyone,
Here is the translation from the first book of William Norton. This includes notes from pdf "Was New testament first written in Greek?" Here is the link to the file.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KSZYJ7HX">http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KSZYJ7HX</a><!-- m -->

The first book of William Norton contains the translation of Hebrews, James, 1st Peter, 1st John.

Re: Important information from William Norton's Book - konway87 - 04-29-2011

Another interesting info from William Norton. I thought I should post this information.

James 5:7-8 - "But ye, my brothers, be patient until the coming of the Lord; like the farmer, who is expecting the precious fruits of his land, and waits patiently for them, until he shall receive the earlier and the later rain. So also be ye patient, and fix firmly your hearts ; for the coming of our Lord has come near. (a)"

(a) - Ver. 8. In Matt. x. 23, Jesus said to the twelve,?ye shall not have gone through the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come.? He came in power, though not in person, in the destruction of the Jewish nation and worship.

Re: Important information from William Norton's Book - rramlow - 04-29-2011

Just grabbed your upload... Fascinating material. The Shabbat comment (from Hebrews) particularly. Thanks!

Re: Important information from William Norton's Book - konway87 - 04-29-2011

You are welcome, rramlow. I am also adding another interesting information here.

1 Peter 4:7 - "Moreover, the end of all has come near; for this reason be sober-minded, and give yourselves watchfully to
prayer."

Ver. 7. Compare Matt. xxiv. 14. " Then shall the end come;" and verse 16, "Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains." The end referred to by
Peter may be that end of the Hebrew dispensation and worship.