Peshitta Forum
Aramaic Definition For "Sin" - Printable Version

+- Peshitta Forum (http://peshitta.org/for)
+-- Forum: New Testament (http://peshitta.org/for/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General (http://peshitta.org/for/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Aramaic Definition For "Sin" (/showthread.php?tid=1730)

Aramaic Definition For "Sin" - *Albion* - 08-29-2008

Dear Friends,

My friend Ray called me this morning on the 'phone, and asked me the Aramaic definition for "sin".

I was on my way to the eye doctors (I write this with dilated eyes even now) and I looked in William Jennings 'Syriac Lexicon' and The Way International's 'Concordance to the Peshitta Version of the Aramaic New Testament'.

But was short on time, as I had to get to the Docs office.

Could you please help me do my homework till my vision returns to normal?

What is the best Syriac/Aramaic definition for "sin" and how would it be pronounced in English?

I know that there are VARIOUS Syriac words for "sin", but what would be the best "common" word, and how would you pronounce it in English?

Normally, something so simple I'd do myself, but my eyes are still funky, and I'm wearing sunglasses to even type this.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Shlama & Blessings, Albion

Re: Aramaic Definition For "Sin" - Paul Younan - 08-29-2008

Shlama Akhi Albion,

"Sin" is "Khta-ha", literally it means "an offense"......sometimes we use the word for "debt", "khaw-ba", to describe sin. The Lord's Prayer makes use of the latter.

+Shamasha

Re: Aramaic Definition For "Sin" - *Albion* - 08-30-2008

Shamasha Paul,

Thanks for your help while my eyes were not working very well!

I really appreciate it!

Shlama, Albion

Re: Aramaic Definition For "Sin" - ograabe - 08-30-2008

Dear Paul,

You noted that the Lord's Prayer uses "khaw-ba" meaning "sin", but you translated "khawbyn" as "our offences" in Mathew 6:12.

What am I missing?

Otto

Re: Aramaic Definition For "Sin" - Paul Younan - 08-31-2008

ograabe Wrote:Dear Paul,

You noted that the Lord's Prayer uses "khaw-ba" meaning "sin", but you translated "khawbyn" as "our offences" in Mathew 6:12.

What am I missing?

Otto

Shlama Akhi Otto:

The reading in the Lord's Prayer reflects the 1st-person plural, possessive form of the noun, "Khawba"

Khawba = "debt"
Khaw-bayn = "our debt"
Khawb-i = "my debt"
....etc

It's tough to think in English like that because in English a noun is not morphed by gender, or person. In the Semitic tongues it is.

+Shamasha

Re: Aramaic Definition For "Sin" - ograabe - 09-01-2008

Thanks, Paul.

Does it mean "our debt" or does it mean "our offences" (as in your translation) or either or both?

Otto

Re: Aramaic Definition For "Sin" - Paul Younan - 09-01-2008

ograabe Wrote:Thanks, Paul.

Does it mean "our debt" or does it mean "our offences" (as in your translation) or either or both?

Otto

Good morning Akhan Otto,

In the Semitic "psyche" sins are thought of as "debts" that need to be either repaid, or "forgiven/forgotten." The word used for "forgiven/forgotten" in the Lords Prayer is the same word used in the last words on the Cross.

In the Lord's Prayer you can substitute (sins/offenses/debts) - any will work. Just depends on how close to the original Semitic you want to be.

+Shamasha